« Home | Freebie Friday (a day late) » | Grocery Budget for this week » | 2 recipes » | Snack foods? » | Oven Baked Swiss Steak » | Saving $ in the laundry room » | Freebie Friday » | Pirate's Booty? » | Thrifty Tip Thursday » | $104 bag of chips »

Free Corn & Taters!! And my coin jar

Guess what!?! It will be awhile before I have to buy corn or potatoes again! Through my uncle and a guy my step-dad works with, my mom got a LOT of fresh sweet corn and red potatoes. And being the sweetheart that she is, we also have PLENTY of corn and taters to last a long time! Yippee!

We all have change leftover at the end of a shopping trip or whatever. What do you do with yours? I'm putting all of mine, along with any money I have leftover at the end of the week (or like from when we don't go out to eat, buy a 20oz drink, etc...*see $104 bag of chips*) into a jar. I don't have a set goal of how much I want to have in the jar in a certain amount of time. I do have a purpose for this jar though.
Throughout this summer, fall & winter I'll be putting my change in this jar. And come spring of next week I'll use whatever is in this jar to help (if not completely) buy the plants I want for my garden.

Along the lines of the garden.... Next spring I want to have a large flower garden that attracts butterflies and hummingbirds. We moved onto our new lot to late to really get a good garden started, plus with the new house and being newlyweds money is tight. So from now until the spring I'll be researching the flowers that will grow in our part of NC that attract butterflies and/or hummingbirds. Also Gradually (probably 2 or 3 a week) I'll be buying the stepping stones and edgers that I want for the garden and any other "decor" that I want, such as hummingbird feeders, my bench, etc. I already have my bird bath. It was bought for and used at our wedding reception to hold the birdseed and now I'll use it in our yard.
I did manage to get 2 Lantana plants from Lowe's the other day for $3.96 a piece. They are planted next to our porch and before the end of the day we already had 2 butterflies loving them! :-D

I plan on keeping track of my change jar total and my garden project on the blog if anyone is interested in keeping up with it. :-D Also if you want to join in the change jar savings I'm working on coming up with some creative ways to challenge myself (and anyone thats interested) to add to the jar.

Gotta run for today!
MrsB

Hi, I found your blog through someone else's - could you please clarify - I am wondering was your $30 pantry stock-up a one-time thing or is it monthly or something? We don't have the blessing of having an Aldi's here - your prices are amazing. Thanks for the tips.

Hi Lyn! Welcome to my blog! I hope you'll stop in often. For now it was a one time thing. I need to update my description. lol I may make it a monthly thing eventually, by adding $30 to one weeks budget for stock-up but not right now. :-)
I *love* Aldi! You can't bet their prices! Do you have a grocery warehouse or surplus store near you? We don't but I've read that the prices at stores like that better than Aldi. I'll research these types of stores better and do a post about them, so check back.

MrsB,
No such stores here, but we will be getting a Super Wal-Mart before the year is out here. That should be better - although not as terrific as Aldi's.

May I also ask how many people you are feeding in your home? I am going to try and do a similar challenge for myself. We have 2 and I would like to shoot for $25-$30 (I have to purchase some occasional health food items due to food challenges). I think it's great that you did most of your Christmas shopping already. That is terrific!

Take care, Lyn

Lyn,
You can do it at Super Wal-Mart too! And you could work the grocery stores and their weekly ads. Thats what I'm learning to do. Oh! Check out groceryguide.com It shows you the weekly sales and matches coupons to it!
Its just me and my dh, so only 2 here also. Please keep me updated on how you're doing! I think its terrific that I've inspired you. :-) Its a great feeling! Would your $25-$30 be your weekly budget?
~MrsB

MrsB,
I am going to try at $25/$30 - not sure yet, I'll let you know if I can figure it out, lol. I'd like to be able to do things like you did buying gifts for Christmas early, that would be great! I have tried in the past but haven't been always successful due to groceries being so expensive where I live/and my present diet. I still have months to wait for the new Super Wal-Mart, but I'll keep working at it. Thanks for that site - I will check it out. We mostly eat from scratch (due to food intolerances) & a lot of the "cheap" foods I cannot eat. But I will give it my best. Looking forward to your continuing posts. Best wishes, Lyn

best regards, nice info » » »

Post a Comment