« Home | Chili Recipe, A Complete Pantry list and other ram... » | Free Corn & Taters!! And my coin jar » | Freebie Friday (a day late) » | Grocery Budget for this week » | 2 recipes » | Snack foods? » | Oven Baked Swiss Steak » | Saving $ in the laundry room » | Freebie Friday » | Pirate's Booty? »

Living in the sticks

Hi guys! I wanted to do a re-cap on what I'm doing and explain alittle better where I shop and how far I drive to do so.
My "challenge" is to spend only $40 a week on groceries and other household items such as toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. Some weeks I go alittle over and some weeks I'm alittle under (rarely). At the current time I don't do a "pantry re-stock", I only do my regular grocery shopping, mainly because so far I haven't needed to.

So anyway, I realized I've never really explained our grocery store situation. We live in the boondocks! The town we live in has a Food Lion, thats it. And with no competition their prices are pretty high on a day to day basis. The next closest town has a Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion and regular Wal-Mart. All of their prices are unreal! I can't afford to shop that town! lol I do occassionally shop their WM if my dh needs a couple of items and I can't justify driving 20 miles to the closest Super WM.
OK Then we have 2 towns that are about the same distance from us. Town One has a Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly and Super Wal-Mart. They are reasonably priced and their WM is the only Super WM I'll shop at. I do pretty much all of my "non-Aldi" grocery shopping in this town.
Town Two is where Aldi is. They also have the normal grocery stores as well as a Super WM, Target and bunch of large "high end" grocery stores. This is our university town.
I have to drive 20-30 miles to get to any point in towns One & Two. But Aldi is actually about a 45 minute drive depending on the traffic.
I'm able to save gas though b/c I'll hit both towns in one day (they're only about 10-15miles apart I think) Or I'll drive to one town and take my sis with me and we'll do my shopping and my mom's shopping and then a couple days later my mom will drive to the other town and I'll go with her to do my shopping in that town.
OK I know I started rambling so I hope that last part made sense. LOL
So even if you don't have an Aldi or alot of stores in your town it can be worth while to research the surrounding towns to see what they have store wise and how their prices are and make the drive there to do your shopping. If you have a family member, neighbor or friend you can carpool with it would be even better. :-) But if not and you use your price book, weekly ads, and do all your shopping one day a week it can still be worth while.

~MrsB